Wednesday 22 July 2015

Chocolate fudge cake

This deliciously oozy cake is gluten and lactose free, it also contains one and a half avocados. Now I love avocados, I truly do, but wondered what they would bring to this cake. 

Well the cake is moist and fudgey and the frosting... oh the frosting. I could literally eat just this by itself. Its obscene how much did disappear into my mouth whilst assembling the cake... but hey avocado and dark chocolate are good for me, right?


This cake keeps well in an airtight tin, if it is warm in your kitchen I would suggest keeping it in the fridge and allowing slices to come to room temperature before serving. 

The recipe is adapted from one in bbc good food magazine.


Chocolate fudge cake


Cake ingredients


150g lactose free butter (I used arla)

150g avocado flesh
275g light brown sugar
350g plain gluten free plain flour (I used dove farm)
1\2 tsp xanthan gun (I used dove farm)
50g cocoa powder (I used green and blacks)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp gluten free baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
400ml lactose free milk or unsweetened almond milk (I used halk and half simply because it was what was in my fridge)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla paste

Frosting ingredients


80g avocado

90g lactose free butter
125ml lactose free milk
30g cocoa powder
200g dark chocolate (check to make sure its dairy free)
250g icing sugar


First preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and grease and line the base of two 20cm cake tins or, if like me, you have one simply bake the cake in two batches.


Put the avocado and the sugar in a food processor and whiz until smooth. Transfer to the bowl of your stand mixer, or a large bowl with a hand held mixer ready. Add the rest of the cake ingredients to the bowl and whisk until a velvety liquid batter is obtained. 



Divide between the tins and bake for 30-40 minutes (I have a cool oven mine took the full 40 minutes) or until fully risen and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean


Cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then turn the cakes onto a wire rack to cool completely. 


When the cakes are cool you can make the frosting, begin by melting the chocolate, over a bowl of hot water, then let it cool for a few mins. Bring the milk to a simmer then whisk in the cocoa powder, also set aside to cool for a minute. 


Beat together the avocado and lactose free spread with electric beaters until creamy and smooth. Into the avocado mix tip in the melted chocolate, milk/cocoa mix and icing sugar and mix until you achieve a thick shiny frosting. I beat my frosting for ~5 minutes then I had to leave it for about 20 minutes at room temperature to thicken up a little. 


Use the fudgey frosting to sandwich your cakes together and cover the top. I did not decorate it but for a celebration this cake would look impressive with some sort of decoration on top.  

No comments:

Post a Comment